Marian College TTC-Hairdressing

Further Education & Training


Applying to University

How do I apply for university?  University entrance usually requires a VCE pass or its' equivalent, such as a high level TAFE qualification.  However, there are now more courses available by direct entry where an ATAR score, and perhaps a Year 12 pass, is not required.  You may also apply to university as a mature age student-you will usually need to be at least 20 years old, have been out of school for at least 12 months and/or be able to demonstrate, through completion of other courses or work experience and references, that you are capable of study at tertiary level.  Some courses will have additional requirements that you will need to check on each university's website and on the VTAC website.

When do I apply for university courses? The normal application process for university courses starts in about July each year for commencement in the following year.  Mostly this is done through VTAC but some courses can take direct applications.  VTAC Guides can be purchased at newsagents.

What is VTAC?  The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) is the central office that administers the application and offer process for places in tertiary courses at university, TAFE and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria (and a few outside Victoria).  VTAC receives and forwards application information and supporting documentation to the course selection authorities at institutions.

Before you can apply, you need a VTAC ID (identification) and PIN (personal identification number).  To get your VTAC ID and PIN, you must register with VTAC.  To start your registration, select the 'Register' link below the login button. and individual university websites (see below).

Mid Year University Entry

The mid-year entry process starts around April/May for commencement in July.  For a list of institutions offering places in mid-year courses through VTAC, go to the VTAC website, the VTAC Guide or contact universities directly.  Other institutions may take direct applications.

Who can I get help from with applying?  A good starting point could be to contact your Careers Coordinator or MIPS Counsellor from secondary school.  They may be able to provide you with some advice on the 'phone or via email, and if they have time may make an appointment with you.  Otherwise call the institution you are wishing to apply to, and ask to make an appointment with a course selection officer.  If you completed Year 12, call VTAC if you have any problems with the online application.  For course advice call the Course Advisors at the institution you are interested in attending, preferably to make an appointment.  They will usually be happy to talk to you to ensure that you are doing the right course.

Part Time University  If you want to work part time while studying, you may want to consider "single subject" entry.  Some university degrees enable you to study 1 or 2 subjects rather than a full time load.  Normal pre-requisites and ATAR cut-off scores do not apply, and you pay per subject as you go.  Contact the universities directly - search for "single subject entry" on the web.

Having trouble getting into a course?  Try Open University (Call a Student Advisor on 1300 733 854)

Australian Catholic
Australian Catholic University
Deakin University
(Deakin College-Pathway
to Deakin University)
1800 693 888
5227 2613
Deakin University
Deakin College
Federation University1300 225
Federation University
La Trobe University1300 135
La Trobe University
Monash University1800 666
Monash University
RMIT University
Torrens University1300 575
Torrens University
University of Melbourne8344
University of Melbourne
Victoria University

Academy of Design Australia9676
Academy of Design Australia
Box Hill Institute1300 454
Box Hill Institute

Collarts1300 818
Deakin College9244
Deakin College
JMC Academy1300 410
JMC Academy
Macleay College1300 939
Macleay College
Navitas College of Public Safety1800 783
Navitas College of Public Safety
William Angliss Institute9606
William Angliss Institute

TAFES and Training Course Providers

What is TAFE? 

Tafe stands for Technical & Further Education.  TAFE is Australia's largest provider of vocational education and training.  More than 350,000 people are enrolled in TAFE in Victoria alone.

TAFE provides an accessible, affordable and flexible solution for all your training and further education needs and is a great option if you are:

  • A school leaver seeking to further your education and training
  • Seeking qualifications and skills you need to find your first job and build your career
  • Already working and want to upgrade or expand your knowledge and skills to further your career
  • Interested in working and earning while you're learning through an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • Looking for a pathway to university
  • An international student looking to improve your English skills

TAFE Courses Directory Website:

Deakin College (Pathway into
Deakin University)
Deakin College
Federation University TAFE (Ballarat)1800 333
Federation University

Kangan Institute13 82
Kangan Institute
Melbourne Polytechnic (formerly NMIT)9269
Melbourne Polytechnic
The Gordon Institute of TAFE (Geelong)1300 730
The Gordon
Victoria Polytechnic1300 823
Victoria Polytechnic
William Angliss Institute9606
William Angliss Institute

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)

RTOs are registered by state and training authorities to deliver nationally recognised training.  This means that the RTOs qualifications are recognised by all RTOs in Australia.

Qualifications range from Certificate I through to IV, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.  All nationally recognised qualifications are designed to meet the needs of industry.

Centre for Adult Education (CAE)
Pre-VCE, VCE & VCAL Provider
253 Flinders Lane Melbourne
9652 0611
Centre For Adult Education
commUnity+811 Ballarat Rd Deer Park
Shop 8, Victoria Square
St Albans
1800 266 675
Djerriwarrh Community & Education Services239 Station Rd Melton
8746 1000
Djerriwarrh Community & Education Services
Search - VCAL
Harvester Technical College (campus of Sunshine College)76 Suffolk Rd Sunshine
8311 5555
Harvester Technical College
Hester Hornbrook Academy (formerly Melbourne Academy-an independent school managed by Melbourne City Mission)C/-Visy Cares Hub
80b Harvester Rd Sunshine
8625 4489
6-12 South Rd Braybrook
8311 5400
Melbourne City Mission
(Search for Hester Hornbrook)
Inner Melbourne VET Cluster
(Offers specialist VCAL program, Youth2Industry. The program is for young people with learning difficulties and/or mild disabilities)
Level 1 71 Palmerston Cr South Melbourne
9686 2353
Inner Melbourne VET Cluster

Kangan Institute
(VCE & VCAL Provider)
Also, Indigenous Education Centre
Pearcedale Pde Broadmeadows
13 82 33
Indigenous Education Centre
9279 2354
Kangan Institute
RMIT124 LaTrobe St Melbourne
9925 4518
Search - VCE
St Josephs Flexible Learning Centre385 Queensberry St North Melbourne
9269 6900
St Josephs Flexible Learning Centre
Search - Schools & Services
The Island (campus of Lynall Community School)189 Urquhart St Coburg
9489 0611
The Island
Victoria PolytechnicFootscray Nicholson St Campus, Cnr Nicholson & Buckley Sts Footscray
1300 823 387
Victoria Polytechnic
Search - courses
William Angliss Institute555 LaTrobe St Melbourne
9606 2111
William Angliss Institute
Search - future students
Wyndham Community & Education Centre3 Princess Highway
9742 4013
Wyndham Community & Education Centre

Gap Year Options

After finishing school, you might be ready to take a year off.  If you're not sure what you want to do career-wise, it can be a great time for figuring out what you enjoy, what you're good at and what jobs you might be best suited for.  You can travel, work in different industries, meet new people and discover more about yourself, your career goals and the world around you.

If a year off sounds like a good idea - consider the options below.

Volunteering in your community  Local councils can help you find a local volunteering opportunity that is close to where you live or that matches your skills and interests.  Visit the community volunteer pages of the Brimbank or Melton City Councils.

Volunteering Overseas

Lattitude Global Volunteering  International volunteering and gap year placements for 17-25 year olds in a wide range of countries around the world.

TESOL  Sign up for a TESOL course (Teaching English as a Second Language) and travel to non-English speaking countries such as Japan, China, Indonesia and widen your knowledge.

Student Exchange  Experience school or university in another country while living with a host family.  You can also sign up for an international internship in areas such as health and medicine, media and marketing, tourism and sports.

Defence Forces  Join ADF Gap Year Program and gain new skills to get ahead in life. Year

Summer Camp Counsellor   Summer camps in the US love Aussies working as camp counsellors.  You don't need any specific training, just a desire to work with young people in an outdoor activity-based environment and some leadership skills.

Working Holiday  Work and see the world at the same time!  Organisations can help you organise your visa, accommodation and employment before you leave.

Au Pair (Nanny)  Live with a family, receive free rent and a wage in return for looking after their children.  Nannies are popular in the UK and you will usually have some time off when you can do some travel as well.